Located between the the cities of Sibenik and Knin
, in the hinterland of Dalmatia, lies the second most visited national park in Croatia
: the divine wonder that is the Krka National Park
. The park was named after the river Krka and covers a total area of 109 m2. The river Krka springs on the foothills of the Dinara mountain near Knin and is submerged in the Adriatic after flowing for 72 km.
The park consists of 7 magnificent waterfalls
with the river Krka flowing over a 200m deep canyon. If you are staying in one of our villas in Sibenik, do not miss the opportunity to pay the park a visit. Thanks to its favourable location between the evergreen Mediterranean and deciduous sub-Mediterranean belt, the plant and animal life is very diverse. Over 1000 different plants have been identified to live in the park, but the park is also home to four endemic, rare and endangered animal species
, such as the greater horseshoe bat, wolf, otter and wild cat. The olm, the only vertebrate adopted to live underground lives here as well as over 200 bird species and 18 different species of bat.
The park has five main entrances: Skradin, Lozovac, Roski Slap, Krka Monastery and Burnum
which are all accessible by ca
r. The attractions and facilities are available via various footpaths and biking trails with beautiful viewpoint from which you can enjoy the entire park /from where you can get a true experience of nature. The trails are equipped with educational panels providing detailed information about the plant and animal life in the park, and the cultural and historical points of interest. Swimming is allowed but only in the marked areas.
What to see:
- the most frequently visited waterfall and one of the best known and recognisable natural features of the park and Croatia. It is the longest waterfall consisting of 17 waterfalls with a height up to over 45 meters. The cascades of this impressive waterfall consist of travertine barriers, islands and lakes which are accessible during the entire year. On the shores, several renovated water mills, of which some have been turned into souvenir shops and transformed into exhibition areas for ethnographic collections, can be found.
- The waterfall is made up of a series of 12 waterfalls, the largest being 22m in height and 60m in width. The start of the barrier is made up of a series of small cascades which brings the image of a silver necklace to mind, which is exactly why this part of the waterfall is called “the necklace” by the locals. On the left bank of the river, water mills are located of which several have been restored to their original function.
- the highest (59m) and according to some, the most beautiful waterfall on the Krka river. Here you can find a trail with a viewpoint apparently in the very spot that the emperor Franz Joseph I stood with his wife Elisabeth and showed admiration to nature wonders.
- a site of exceptional natural, cultural and historical significance. Traces of human settlements have been found in the cave. There are records of human presence in the cave from 5000 to 1500 BC. The cave is part of the educational walking trail Stinice - Roski slap - Ozidana pecina.
The Franciscan monastery on the small island of Visovac
- next to Skradinski buk, the most famous sight of the Krka National Park and frequent postcard motive. The tiny island in the peaceful and quiet lake-section of the river has always attracted people wishing to connect with God. It is no wonder then that Franciscan monks chose this place to build their monastery and church. The monastery contains a number of well-preserved artefact, such as church linens and dishes, and a library with valuable books and incunabula. The Visovac Island is one of Croatia´s most valuable natural and cultural monuments which attracted countless pilgrims even today. Boat excursions from Skradinski buk are available for sightseeing tours to the Visovac Island.
The Krka monastery
- also often called the Monastery of the Holy Archangel is one of the most important spiritual centres of the Orthodox eparchy in Sibenik. The monastery is situated in a calm, broad bay on the Krka River and was erected on the foundations if an older, hermit monastery. Below the church there are ancient Roman catacombs, which are open to visitors. The monastery houses a large and wealthy library with many historical manuscripts, incunabula and rare books. The Monastery can be visited by organized boat excursions from Roski slap and it can also be reached by road from Kistanje.
The ruins of several fortresses
. Even though most of the visitors are familiar with the highlights of the park such as Skradinski buk and the Visovac island, not many people know that also remains of archeological sites can be fond at the park. The most famous fortresses from the 14th century, that lie on the banks of the river Krka, are Kljucica, Trosenj and Necven. The fortresses were erected at the edge of the Krka canyon, on both the left and right sides. As well as occasionally serving for defensive purposes, the fortresses also formed the core of individual settlements.
Roman military camp Burnum
- this former Roman military camp is located on the right bank of the Krka River, near where the village of Ivosevci. It was erected at the turn of the new era, in the 1st ct. AD at a position that allowed for control of the passage across the Krka River. Today the remnants of the arches of the military command building (Pretoria) and the well preserved amphitheatre can be seen.
The Krka National Park is a vast area of exceptional natural value which purpose it is to primarily serve science, culture, education and recreation. The travertine waterfalls are a karst phenomenon of the Krka river which even though the look imposing, are fragile formations sensitive to environmental change and human activities which is why it´s an imperative to protect them and to preserve the natural balance of the ecosystem. For this reason lectures, ecological workshops, field courses and sports activities are organised with topics that relate to biological diversity and nature protection.
Enjoy your time in one of our beautiful villas with private pool in Sibenik
and don’t miss the chance to visit one of nature´s gifts to mankind.