Croatia is a country with a beautiful coast
and blue sea, there are plenty of different beaches, from natural wild to tidy, and organised ones. Most of us who have no movement restrictions, however, rarely think about how our beautiful and often unique beaches
, by their very construction or maladaptation, or simply because we don't always have enough sensitivity for people who are different
- may pose insurmountable obstacles to some, and therefore have no opportunity to reach our blue crystal clear Adriatic Sea
About 15% of the tourist population has not been able to come to Croatia for these reasons so far.
We are glad that in the last few years more activities have been undertaken on creating numerous opportunities for people with disabilities
, which has facilitated and enabled them not to give up their desire to come to the Adriatic Sea and enjoy it - this tendency of inclusion is growing
Even though we hope for many more with time, there are more than 10 beaches
and bathing areas in Croatia that have fully adapted accessibility for guests with disabilities
. There are also about 60 beaches and beaches with a blue flag, which are partially adapted, ie accessible to people with disabilities.
If the beach has a Blue Flag
, it does not automatically mean that it is adapted for people with disabilities. However, the blue flag ensures that at least one beach in a certain community must be built appropriately
for people with disabilities, as this is one of the criteria for receiving it.
What does it actually mean that a beach is adapted for people with disabilities - first of all, of course, they must have access to the beach
and water without obstacles. Ideally, paths have been built on certain parts of the beach that can be easily accessed with wheelchairs
. In many places, there are also ramps that provide access without hindrance instead. Some beaches also offer special facilities such as handrails, special wheelchairs and specialised lifts
, which allow persons with disabilities to swim in the sea on their own.
To help you plan your vacation
more easily in our beautiful villas in Istria
or Dalmatia in case you or someone from your family or group of friends travelling has limited mobility
, we are supplying some information about several beaches that are fully or partially adapted
for people with disabilities:
Istria & the Kvarner region
Both Istria and the Kvarner region are known for respecting and promoting diversity
. This is also reflected in the concern for the adaptation of its beautiful diverse beaches, for guests with disabilities:
- Around Porec, people with disabilities have at their disposal the beach Gradsko kupaliste, where there is access to the beach and water without obstacles.
- City beach Valkane in Pula - It is possible to move on the ramp in a wheelchair. According to unofficial information, access by car is possible and the parking lot is connected to the beach by ramps. It is worth recommending the beach Ambrela in Punta Verudela near Pula, and the sandy beach Bijeca in Medulin.
- A person with a disability is not necessarily confined to a wheelchair, but may be blind or visually impaired, in which case it is also not out of place that the beach is adequately adapted. One of the few such is the Munte beach in Premantura. The beach is reached through a pine forest, all the way to the stairs with a protective fence. The beach consists of a rocky part of the shore and a landscaped part for sunbathing and access to the sea are stairs that dive into the sea, and which is accompanied by a handrail. The beach is fully landscaped and adapted for persons with disabilities, and allows them to enjoy the sun and clean sea without worries.
- On the popular tourist island of Krk, you can find beaches adapted for people with disabilities, especially in the north, such as Pesja beach in Omisalj, beaches in Pecine or Rupa beach in Malinska.
- City beach in Crikvenica: There is an elevator on the beach, the help of a lifeguard is provided, and there is a customised toilet. - Movement at level is without obstacles, connected by ramps.
For Dalmatia we can also recommend several beaches suitable for people with disabilitie
s, which you can find all the way to Dubrovnik. Southern Croatia equally offers visitors with and without disabilities plenty of sun, beaches and sea
- Zadar - Vitrenjak Beach (Uskok) - on the beach there is a ramp, adapted toilet and dressing room, parking lot and a specialised wheelchair.
- Island of Pag - the main City beach in the town of Pag is fully adapted for people with disabilities.
- Blue beach in Vodice - It is possible to access the beach by car. The ramp for entering the sea is according to regulations, and there are two adapted toilets near the ramp.
- Primosten: Mala Raduca beach has specially made slanted slopes intended for access to the beach for people with disabilities. The location itself has such a natural configuration and position of the beaches that even people with impaired vision can find a suitable space at any time and easily settle down on a pebble beach.
- Baska: Vela plaza - secured parking spaces and adapted access, entrance to the sea provided by a ramp, licensed lifeguards
- Split is also worth mentioning as a destination for guests with disabilities - On the beach Znjan there is a double ramp for descending into the sea. There is a parking lot of 10 places, and an access path that connects the parking lot and ramps. The beach has parasols, a special trolley for entering the sea, a customised bathroom, shower, customised locker room, and daily assistance in the form of rescue service. It also has a lift to enter the sea. On Bene Beach, a ramp and a special wheelchair facilitate access.
- City beach "Punta" in Omis stands out as a positive example. By car you can reach 60 meters from the beach, and parking is marked. Access to the sea is judged to be in order. The beach has a crane to enter the sea. Nearby, on the beach Ivasnjak in Lokva Rogoznica, guests with disabilities will find unobstructed access to the sea.
- Copacabana Beach in Dubrovnik - has a lift for people with disabilities that allows unobstructed access to the sea. There is also a car park, and people who rent deck chairs are ready to help.
Unfortunately, toilets, changing cabins, as well as supply facilities and first aid stations are not yet unobstructed everywhere
. For these reasons, it is important to inform yourself before going to the beach
about the beach itself and about the possibilities of swimming in the area, so that there are no disappointments.
Although we are all different
, it does not mean that we should not be equal, with the same rights and opportunities, regardless of possible "restrictions" :)
We hope that in the future the possibilities and the offer for guests with disabilities in Croatia will expand even more
! Spend an unforgettable and fulfilling vacation in one of our beautiful villas with pool in Istria or Dalmatia.