If you are a fan of sweets
, especially those you can make yourself
, then you are in the right place. We will tell you the recipe for delicious snacks made of just two ingredients, namely orange or lemon peel and sugar
These old traditional sweets are characteristic
for the Dubrovnik
region and the Neretva valley. They are made during the winter months when the citrus fruits ripen, but you can also find them in delis all year round. Although these desserts are highly sought after
, their preparation is extremely simple
and you only need a little time to prepare the ingredients. In addition to arancini
, there are also limoncini
, which are made from lemon peel. We recommend that you try both varieties. We are convinced that you will not be able to decide which one you like better.
ALL YOU NEED IS
3 fresh (unsprayed) oranges - or lemons
2 cups of sugar (400 g)
2 cups of water (500 ml)
ADDITIONALLY FOR DECORATION
1. Cut the oranges or lemons in half and squeeze
them. Use the juice as you like.
2. Try to remove the white part
between the peel and the orange fruit as best as you can. The white part, especially in lemons, is bitter
, and this way you prevent the bitterness of the candy.
3. Cut the peels into strips
about 5 mm thick.
4. Fill a pot with water. When the water boils, add the cut strips and boil them for about 5 minutes. Repeat this process 3 times
so that the strips are boiled a total of 15 minutes.
5. Once they are boiled, the peel is ready to be prepared. Pour 500 ml of water and 400 g of sugar into the pot.
6. When the water and sugar
have boiled, reduce the heat to medium and add the citrus peels.
7. Let the orange and lemon peels boil for about 30 to 45 minutes.
8. After the citrus peels have been cooked, roll them in sugar
and separate them immediately so that they do not stick together.
9. Leave them to dry for at least two days
, or until they are dry and hard under your fingers.
Instead of sugar, you can roll orange peel in melted chocolate
. Leave the finished crust to dry and harden in a cool place for 2-5 hours or overnight.
And that's it! It's time to enjoy these sweets
Arancini and limuncini made this way will keep for up to a year. Store them in jars in a dry and dark spot.